Associate Vice President, Campus Life - NAIT - Edmonton, AB
Our client, NAIT, a leading polytechnic, has been a major contributor to industry and the economy within Alberta for the past 55 years. Having built its first campus in 1962, NAIT has continued to grow and expand to meet industry and student demand. As stated by President and CEO, “NAIT exists to serve Alberta and its people to meet the current and emerging needs of this province. NAIT belongs to the province and people of Alberta. Every decision we make has been informed by this simple fact.”
NAIT, operating as one of two polytechnics in the province of Alberta, describes the polytechnic learning experience as:
- delivering technology based education across all its programs
- the education is experiential and hands-on
- working in partnership with industry
- the applied research solves real problems
To be the most relevant and responsive post-secondary institution in Canada and a world leading polytechnic by 2021.
Respect: To treat each other with respect, including behaviours of honest, integrity, transparency, trust, and an appreciation for diversity.
Collaboration: To work together to advance NAIT and its academic mission in fostering relationships and in building community.
Celebration: To come together in fun and enjoyment to recognize accomplishments and successes and to show appreciation.
Support: To support people through empowerment, providing a safe and caring workplace and providing opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Accountability: To be accountable, individually and collectively, to each other and to NAIT for our actions and for achieving our promises.
NAIT developed its Vision and its 2021 Strategic Plan by engaging all stakeholders including over 3200 students, staff, alumni, Board of Governors, government, industry partners, the NAIT Academic Staff Association, the NAIT Students’ Association, Alberta Union of Public Employees (AUPE) and other stakeholders. What became of this was, NAIT 2021; the Strategic Plan that is built on the four promises of NAIT:
Promise to Alberta: NAIT meets the current and emerging needs for polytechnic education and applied research in Alberta. NAIT is relevant and responsive and provides outstanding technical education. While servicing the needs of Alberta, NAIT is globally competitive and recognized.
Promise to Students: NAIT provides a positive student experience that encompasses students’ mental, emotional, and physical well-being and defines success broadly. NAIT prepares students to succeed in meaningful careers, find employment in their chosen field and have the skills necessary to have an immediate impact.
Promise to Industry: NAIT produces an exceptional skilled workforce, aligned directly to industry needs. NAIT’s programs are developed with industry’s input and the research is industry-driven to create enterprises that compete worldwide.
Promise to Staff: NAIT will continue to be one of Canada’s outstanding places to work, which follows from a culture of how we work together. This culture reflects the values of respect, collaboration, celebration, support, and accountability.
For further information on the NAIT, please visit their website at www.nait.ca.
Campus Life provides programs and services that create and support a campus environment consistent with the mandate and strategic priorities of NAIT. Of significance is the focus on creating a campus environment that integrates and enhances all aspects of the student experience, defined by a philosophy of holistic student success.
The Associate Vice President Campus Life reports to NAIT’s Vice President Academic. The position is responsible for the strategic leadership and oversight of Campus Life, working in collaboration with other NAIT business areas, with a particular focus on NAIT schools and NAIT’s Learning and Teaching Commons. At all times, the AVP Campus Life is expected to uphold and demonstrate NAIT Values, and to provide a healthy, safe, and respectful work environment.
As a member of President’s Council and the Academic Portfolio Leadership Team, the AVP Campus Life is responsible for the achievement of outcomes and strategies in NAIT’s Strategic and related plans. More specifically, the AVP Campus Life works with colleagues across NAIT to support student success and aligns the goals of Campus Life with strategic goals NAIT-wide. The AVP Campus Life provides leadership to Student Well-being and Community, Student Advising and Information Services, NAIT International, and the Office of the Ombudsperson. Depending on internal and external factors, the AVP Campus Life may from time to time restructure these reporting areas. Whatever the structure, the AVP Campus Life has accountability to lead, inspire and work collaboratively with reporting Directors and others across the institution to achieve the goals of NAIT and Campus Life.
- Strategic and collaborative leadership to support the proactive development and delivery of innovative student services to support NAIT’s philosophy of holistic student success, including focused attention to student issues related to diversity and inclusion, the creation of community, mental health and well-being, and increased understanding of information as a strategic asset to students.
- Strategic and collaborative leadership in support of comprehensive, efficient, and timely delivery of programs and student services.
- Ensure Campus Life related data is collected, analyzed, and reported on to support program and institutional decision-making.
- Alignment of Campus Life activities to the student life cycle, in support of strategic enrollment management strategies and processes at NAIT, particularly as they relate to retention and specific student populations.
- Championship of exemplary, student-focused recruitment, admission, and retention efforts.
- Leadership and development of an effective team environment through service integration; the direction and mentoring of staff members; leading the portfolio leadership team; encouraging and facilitating learning and skills development; developing and implementing plans to meet future human resource needs; ensuring infrastructure is supported with appropriate human, financial, and technical resources; and a focus on continuous quality improvement.
- Service and leadership on NAIT committees and councils to represent the Campus Life perspective.
- Strategic relationship building and leadership as appropriate to other institutions, government regulatory and licensing agencies, professional associations, and other groups to improve and provide conformance to provincial standards and legislation.
- Strategic leadership to create and ensure delivery of Campus Life outcomes through participation in the development of three year plans, annual operating budgets, short term renovation and capital budgets, performance objectives, and regular review of actual performance in relation to plans.
- Oversight of Campus Life budget.
- Champion the development and implementation of integrated, student centered communication strategies throughout the institution, including the provision of technology enhanced communication as well as the use of a range of methods and modalities to serve NAIT’s diverse student population.
- Champion the development of student centred processes across all NAIT campuses, to maintain service consistency and efficiency in multiple campus locations.
- Raise awareness and credibility of Campus Life services in the NAIT community.
- Support professional development opportunities for the Campus Life team to expand and develop skills and expertise.
- Acknowledge and celebrate the accomplishment of NAIT employees.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- You will have learned and taken the time to understand the business, the culture, and the relationships through a lens of curiosity;
- You will be able to validate the existing organizational structure and/or propose changes that need to be made to achieve the goals of Campus Life; and be able to provide supportive information as to “why”.
- You will provide continued strategic leadership for work that has been started including:
- Development of a mental health strategy for NAIT
- Maintaining close connections with Learning & Teaching Commons recognizing potential areas of duplication and working together to provide a consistent experience for all students and staff
- Maintaining close connections with NAIT schools recognizing potential areas of duplication and working together to provide a consistent experience for all students and staff
- Development of strategy and programming related to student conduct
- Preparing for the build of a student residence by ensuring all programs are developed and solid before NAIT has a 24-hour campus
- Build on the work of Aboriginal initiatives, including finalization of an Aboriginal Strategy and continuous development of the Encana Centre
- Continued momentum with the Internationalization Strategy
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Campus Life, and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following competencies, leadership attributes, education, and qualifications:
- Demonstrated senior-level leadership skills including the ability to provide appropriate guidance to supervisory, peer and subordinate roles;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the proven ability to lead effective meetings, committees, and projects to completion;
- Demonstrated knowledge of student development theory, strategic enrolment management theories and leadership practices and the ability to translate these into practice;
- Extensive team-building, collaboration, and leadership experience;
- Must be able to consider and consistently engage others across NAIT and within the Campus Life portfolio;
- A champion for change including demonstrated successful experience supporting and leading change in a complex, people-oriented environment;
- Experience working with data and business intelligence to inform business operations;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional collaboration skills
- A progressive and forward thinker
- An individual who is inclusive and accepting of diverse populations
- Someone who has a “can-do” attitude and will find solutions to situations that are highly challenging and difficult to resolve
- Collaborative, open and supportive
- A high need to understand and be curious
- A good coach
- Provides guidance and support yet empowers the team to use their expertise and knowledge to make decisions
- Wants to work with high performers
- Stretches the team to think differently and to think out of the box
- A transformational and situational leader – someone who can help transform and who can adapt to new situations
- A team based/ shared leadership style
- Approachable, easy to talk to, has humor and can create a fun environment
- High communication
- Easy-going with a high-quality focus
- An advocate for students and Campus Life
- Master’s Degree in related field (e.g. Education, Educational Psychology, Educational Leadership, Student Affairs) would be considered ideal; a University Degree and equivalent experience would be considered.
Qualifications & Experience
- A minimum of 8 years post-secondary experience at a leadership level and/or leadership experience in a not for profit or government agency that is focused on and provides programming related to human development;
- The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in at least one of student affairs, student services, student life, residential housing, aboriginal affairs, or curriculum and instruction at a post-secondary level.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join NAIT in the role of the Associate Vice President, Campus Life, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing Position ID # AXQH-255234.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 1-877-217-5551 ext. 101. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit our website at www.profoundtalent.com.