Applus+ is a global leader in the Testing, Inspection and Certification sector delivering non-destructive testing, inspection, engineering, and manpower services to the aerospace, power, and oil and gas industries. They are a trusted partner who enhances the quality and safety of their clients’ assets and infrastructures while safeguarding their operations. They deliver this through their technical capabilities, innovative approach, and their motivated team who are committed to operational excellence.
Applus+ has achieved a significant global presence and a leading position in its target markets and regions. As a result, their teams have expanded with approximately 23,000 professionals across the world, attracting the very best talent in the industry. Applus+ is comprised of four divisions including Automotive, Energy & Industry, IDIADA, and Laboratories. With headquarters located in Spain, this global company offers a complete portfolio of solutions that address a range of needs, from asset integrity management to statutory compliance-based inspections in over 70 countries. Canadian head office operations are located in Edmonton and reach approximately 800 employees seasonally from coast to coast.
For more information on Applus+ please visit their website: https://www.applus.com/global/en/
The main responsibility of this position is to ensure the integrity of accounting information by preparing, recording, verifying, and consolidating financial transactions. The Accounting Manager is responsible for ensuring that all balance sheet accounts are well supported by account reconciliation and all expenses are hitting the appropriate P&L accounts. The Accounting Manager is a “hands on” Manager with no direct reports. You will supervise the Accounting Department including personnel, workflow, processes, and work assignments and is responsible for ensuring that the company is tax compliant, and all tax filings are current. This position is also responsible for ensuring internal controls on accounting processes, driving special projects such as ERP implementation, finance process improvements, department training, and other assigned projects.
- Manage and coordinate all activities, work assignments, deadlines, and resources related with Accounting including outsourced functions.
- Manage and oversee all tax filings and requirements with our outsourced tax partner.
- Lead the month end process ensuring all tasks and responsibilities are met in the established deadlines.
- Lead and perform analysis of financial accounts, review account reconciliations prepared by Financial Shared Services, ensure reconciling items identified during the reconciliation process are cleared timely.
- Ensure and verify asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by analyzing account information.
- Ensure proper feeder systems from sub ledgers, journal entries, tax requirements, allocations, intercompany, external banks & Fixed Assets accounting. GL account requests.
- Analyze, recommend, implement, and train process improvements to increase efficiency and reliability of data across all finance departments.
- Lead and assist with high impact projects such as ERP implementation, department improvements, staffing training and other assigned projects as defined by the Regional Finance Manager.
- Local and Regional Financial statements review and reporting, ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information including SAP BPC reporting of month/year end results.
- Manage and ensure all intercompany transactions and balances are recorded properly and reconciled timely.
- Lead and prepare month-end financial statements and special analysis of expenditures in a timely manner. Answer queries, assist and prepare management reports as needed.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Interface with the different departments and regions to verify transaction report data and issues.
- Respond to the inquiries regarding financial results, special reporting requests, and other assignments.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Prepare reports and required for government entities.
- Lead and assist with internal and external audit, coordinate items per audit PBC lists, prepare and review work papers and supporting documents, address audit query and issues.
- Lead and assist in development and implementation of new procedures and policies to enhance workflow and accuracy of the department in conjunction with the Finance Manager; Director all issues to the Finance Director.
- Maintain internal control procedure and accounting policies to enforce policy compliance and report any non-compliance.
- Act as a point of contact and lead with the Global Shared Services Center.
- Must maintain a strong focus on cross functional teamwork with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Follow and enforce the Company required safe work practices and procedures at all times.
- Enforce and abide the requirements of safe operation and personal safety using required Personal Protective Equipment and Safe Practices per company policy.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and Company policy at all times.
- Adheres to organizational policies and procedures, including but not limited to Applus Code of Ethics and Confidentiality Agreements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Maintain staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Mentor, guide, and training employees in correct processes and procedures ensuring a good and positive learning environment for all staff.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and legal work environment for all staff ensuring all company policies are being followed.
- Maintain staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, mentoring, and advising, assigning /evaluating work and appraising job results in partnership with human resources which includes annual performance reviews.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Review all financial accounts ensuring their accuracy and/or cleanup is done with a goal to have the balance sheet and profit & loss statements clean and accurate by year-end.
- Ensure Applus Canada is compliant with all tax filings.
- Headquarter monthly reporting is completed accurately, timely and with quality reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Commerce with an Accounting focus.
- CPA designation is required.
- 8-12+ years’ experience in accounting / financial reporting and tax areas.
- Must have experience with publicly traded and multi-national business.
- Ideally, you have worked in one of the “big four” accounting firms.
- Experience with ERP business and reporting systems, with SAP knowledge being considered a strong asset.
- Experience working with both an internal and external outsourced Accounting team preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a supervisory role is preferred.
- Experience in managing and leading complex projects, preferred.
- Experience working in the oil & gas service industry, preferred.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of accounting, month end close procedures, eliminations and consolidations, reporting policy/concepts, controls, analytics, normalization, and foreign currency issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial accounting principles and business acumen.
- Knowledge of arithmetic and algebra.
- An understanding of GAAP including demonstrated experience in interpretation; application and implementation supported by strong analytical and planning skills is required.
- Understanding of IFRS accounting standards.
- Proficient in financial reporting and consolidation tools such as SAP BPC.
- Knowledge of general Canadian business tax laws.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
- Ability to multi-task and properly execute multiple simultaneous assignments under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and cooperate with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to work under a shared service module.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have working knowledge of MS Office Suite of products.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, skills required.
- Must be flexible and thrive in a fast pace environment.
- Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Applus+. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Highly driven.
- Strong attention to detail and takes pride in accuracy.
- Likes to “dive in” and focus on moving the business forward in an accurate and timely manner.
- Open to challenge and thrives in an environment that is solution focused.
- A team player that enjoys the complexities of a matrix organizational structure.
- Strong communicator that keeps leadership abreast of the details.
- Exhibits honesty, discretion, confidentiality, and sound judgment.
- Enjoys fast pace and change.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join this organization in the role of the Accounting Manager, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AGLC-757531.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *