Our client, an Edmonton-based general contractor with longevity in constructing high quality commercial spaces, has a need for a Director, Project Development. This organization is well-established, has a strong reputation in market, and continues to grow and thrive. As this is a confidential search, details on the organization will be released only to those short-listed for the opportunity.
The Director, Project Development will report directly to the President and will be an active part of the senior leadership team. This position requires a knowledgeable and experienced project development professional who has extensive experience in pre-construction within the commercial construction industry, has a strong network and ability to build relationships, and a proven track record of securing new work by implementing winning pursuit strategies.
The successful applicant will be responsible for working with business development, estimating, and the operations functions to both actively support all project pursuits and lead preconstruction activities. This senior strategic role includes identifying and researching new business opportunities and supporting the development and execution of overall growth plans.
- Develop project execution and construction strategy plans to win and meet profitability targets on competitive bid, construction management, and design-build opportunities.
- Act as a corporate business development representative and face to the market for the business across the core service sector of private developers with an ability to expand the offering into government, post-secondary, and light industrial sectors.
- Bring forward established industry relationships and create strong visibility in key networks to help expand the business base across targeted regions in Western Canada.
- Serve as the strategic lead for all client submissions for pre-qualifications, requests for proposals, and tenders.
- Demonstrate proven skills for gathering competitive intelligence on emerging opportunities, profiling industry pursuits and facilitating strategic market plans for business growth.
- Contribute to sales/profitability targets, including supporting sales with opportunity identification, sales funnel development and pursuit strategy.
- Lead the preparation of joint ventures, alliances, and memorandums of understanding.
- Establish and implement assessment tools and review documentation to evaluate risk in complex project delivery methods.
- Serve as a client manager by building strong client relationships, understanding their unique needs, better positioning the organization for strong proposal/tender submissions that lead to winning pursuits, and ensuring overall client satisfaction through the process.
- Utilize a disciplined approach to qualifying project opportunities.
- Effectively obtain client feedback and project debriefs to increase success rate.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Achievement of growth targets as established by Senior Leadership Team with an increased client base and expansion into new sectors.
- Increase project award ratio to a level mutually determined.
- Upon award, progress the project from contract signing to project start by alleviating timing delays and any risks associated with this.
- Build solid, trusting, respectful relationships with Senior Leadership Team and within departments.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of our client and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience, and personal attributes:
- Post-secondary education in a construction discipline or business is preferred
- Minimum of 10 years progressive project management and/or estimating experience in the commercial construction industry or a sub-trade of it.
- Minimum 7 years leadership experience in the Architectural, Engineering, Construction Management (AECM) industry.
- Proven experience in developing project pursuit strategies, forming relationships with Owners, Developers, Architects, and Market Influencers in both the private and public sector.
- Proven experience supervising a team.
- Experience training, coaching, and utilizing LEAN principles throughout the pursuit, proposal, and presentation process.
- Demonstrated track record of success in winning tenders, proposals, and pursuits.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Initiates collaboration on projects and operations capitalizing on opportunities and addresses challenges presented by team diversity and talents.
- Demonstrated ability to secure new work and clients on signature projects with a range of project sizes.
- Possesses a detailed knowledge of development, design and construction terminology, systems, building types, costs and CCDC contracts.
- Communicates complex issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences (e.g., owners, clients, industry peers, etc.) using varied communication systems, methodologies, and strategies to promote dialogue and shared understanding.
- Acts with credibility and ensures that decisions incorporate ethics and core values of the organization.
- Seeks out and involves customers or prospective customers in assessing services, solutions, or products to identify ways to improve.
- Proficient use of MS Office suite, Procore, and Pipedrive CRM programs.
- Understands and abides by all government processes and regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills are imperative.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Confident without arrogance
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership
- Highly entrepreneurial and thrives in being part of the growth strategy
- Strategically focused with a hunter-mindset
- Effective attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- Strategic and operational performer
- Collaborative and team player
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Exhibits sound judgment
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
The ideal candidate will reside or relocate to Edmonton, Alberta; however, candidates will be considered in other markets.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join this organization in the role of the Director, Project Development, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # ARBL-607688.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *