Our client, a logistics and supply chain organization with longevity in business and a strong track record of success, has a need for a Distribution Manager for one of their Edmonton warehouses. This organization is highly established, has a strong reputation in market and continues to grow and thrive. As this is a confidential search, details on the organization will be released only to those short-listed for the opportunity.
The Distribution Manager will report directly to an executive leader in operations and will be responsible for leading a team of up to 100 staff. The Distribution Manager is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of one of their 24/7 distribution facilities. The successful individual will manage people and performance while maintaining a fast-paced dynamic operation that meets and exceeds internal expectations and external client expectations in keeping with the company’s Vision and Mission.
The Distribution Manager will initiate change required to continuously improve the distribution centre including order accuracy, speed of service, productivity, inventory management, safety and cleanliness. This individual will also bring teams together to achieve excellence both internally and in the customer experience.
Focus on People
- Provide strong leadership and foster a high level of accountability for mid-level management staff
- Work with Warehouse Management, and respective Shift Supervisors to drive performance
- Direct the staffing requirements, coordinating with Human Resources in the recruitment of high-quality staff
- Ensure that all shifts develop a flexible cross-trained workforce, and that supervisors are applying designated HR practices and unionized requirements consistently
- Improve employee retention and enhance employee engagement to positively impact performance by coaching supervisors with specific emphasis on orientation and training, providing consistent employee evaluation and feedback
Focus on Performance
- Ensure achievement in the critical operational KPI’s areas of accuracy and on-time performance and bring new focus and measurable standards to other key functionalities important to the client and the company
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and best practices are well defined and updated, and that supervisors have action plans to train and create sustainability by enforcing accountability to improve operational performance
- Manage bottom line financial performance to meet annual budgets
- Manage warehouse space, people costs, and operating cost structures to suit objectives
- Provide direction for physical operations, including management and maintenance of warehouse infrastructure (equipment and facilities), contractors and supply vendors.
- Reinforce program consistency and ensure standards/certifications are maintained and complied for Health & Safety, and other prerequisite and mandated programs.
- Support and maintain strong relationships with the customers
- Assist in the development of concepts and plans for enhanced methods, technologies, equipment and practices within operations including warehouse infrastructure, systems and processes.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Develop a labour planning system to optimize efficiency in the warehouse for all shifts and in consideration of fluctuations of inventory throughout the week and seasonally
- Establish an efficient inventory tracking system to ensure accuracy and efficiency in warehouse and distribution systems
- Provide a safe and clean environment that meets and/or exceeds expectations
- Increase productivity while also increasing accuracy of orders
- Be a change agent in increasing employee engagement, process compliance and accountability
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post secondary degree or diploma considered an asset
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in a Supervisory position
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Management role is required, leadership within a high-volume distribution centre considered an asset
- Proven track record of leading and motivating teams of 50+ staff in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in distribution facility management and skill to oversee distribution processes while maintaining the customer experience, would be ideal
- A strong orientation and knowledge of computers, technology, warehouse management systems and information
- A strong track record of success in maintaining safe and clean work environments
- Demonstration of an innovative mindset where you seek solutions to problems and push through
Competencies and Knowledge
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, roll-up-you-sleeves management style with a focus on problem solving in a team culture
- Capable of transformational leadership, able to extract the best performance out of a team
- Ability to thrive in a very fast-paced high-demand environment
- Strong work ethic, lead-by-example attitude
- Operationally strong with solid judgement and track record that proves it
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence people and have them respond with their best performance
- Determined focus on and demonstrated ability to hold people accountable for fulfilling expectations
- Technology skills (with SAP, WMS, TMS, ERP and MS-Office) suitable to a senior management role
- A transformation agent
- Firm but fair
- Highly accountable
- Strategic and operational performer
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Confident, self-sufficient with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Displays integrity and ethical leadership
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example
- A coach and mentor; helps others to succeed
- Open to innovative ways of doing things
- Continuous learning mindset
- Looks for solutions instead of blame
- Cultivates team knowledge, sharing and trust
- Detail oriented
- Team focused
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join this company in the role of Distribution Manager, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Position ID # AUJN-706066.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *