Our client, AltaSteel was founded in 1955 as Premier Steel Mills Ltd. Before 1955, all steel made in North America was made via blast furnace process from iron ore. However, by 1955, electricity generating facilities and distributing grids became massive enough to make electric furnace steelmaking practical and economical; Premier Steel Mills Ltd became the first steel mill in North America to use an electric arc furnace process to melt and refine scrap steel and then hot-roll the steel into final product shapes.
This process became known as the “mini-mill” process and represented perhaps the most significant step forward in steelmaking technology in the past 50 years. The mini mill process now accounts for over 60% of the steel produced in North America. This pioneering effort was recognized in 2004 by the American Society of Materials (ASM), which honoured the AltaSteel facility by designating it as an historical landmark.
In 2011, Arrium Limited (formerly known as OneSteel) acquired AltaSteel and merged the business with its international Moly-Cop Group of companies. In 2017 American Industrial Partners (AIP) acquired the MolyCop Group of companies including AltaSteel Ltd. and changed the name of the legal entity to MolyCop AltaSteel Ltd.; however, continuing to do business as AltaSteel. AIP is a US based operationally oriented, middle market private equity firm that is distinctively focused on industrial businesses.
AltaSteel is a producer of rolled steel long products for the mining, construction, automotive and engineering industries. Based in Edmonton, Alberta the company operates steelmaking, hot rolling and heat treatment facilities and has an installed production capacity in excess of 330,000 net tons/year. Our client has been operating since 1955, and currently employs approximately 350 people on their team.
Goal, Core Value & Approach
AltaSteel’s customer goal is “we will meet our promises”. They do this under one core value with that being:
“…to create an environment and belief that we can always meet our promise to our customers. Further, with the commitment of all, our customer experience with us will be complaint free with all promises met. We seek all our employees to rank this as a highest belief, thereby making it a core value.”
AltaSteel attains their goals and upholds their core value by “…working to achieve our customer promise through the engagement of all persons and a business partnership that creates pride in the workmanship of our products and continuous improvement in our skills and processes.”
AltaSteel’s safety goal is “ZERO: No incidents and no injuries.” They do this under one core value with that being:
“…they seek to foster the belief amongst all employees and contractors that an injury-free workplace can be achieved. Further, with the commitment of all, that an injury-free workplace will be achieved. We seek all our employees to rank this belief above all, thereby making it our core value.”
For further information on the AltaSteel, please visit their website at www.altasteel.com.
AltaSteel is seeking an experienced, dedicated and motivated professional to join the Human Resources department as a Manager, Labour Relations. Reporting to the Director, HR & HSE, this role will be responsible for working closely with operations to provide Labour Relations support and expertise to the business.
- Assist leaders in the organization to manage unionized employee issues within and outside of the stipulations of the collective agreement;
- Provide advice and guidance related to employment legislation, the collective agreement, grievances, human resources policies and workplace issues that impact bargaining unit employees
- Serve as a key resource in the investigation and resolution of grievances
- Represent the company by facilitating and maintaining effective relationships with the union;
- Develop and deliver education sessions about labour and employee relations topics;
- Provide counsel and support for all disciplinary investigations;
- Contribute to the collective bargaining pre-negotiation preparation, research, and proposal costing to develop and provide guidance on the strategy and the collective bargaining negotiations;
- Prepare a labour disruption contingency plan and assist with execution if required.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Create a labour relations strategy that will include a pre-bargaining 24-month plan setting up AltaSteel for collective bargaining success;
- Create a proactive grievance and performance management plan.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of AltaSteel and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant discipline;
- Human Resources designation (CPHR) would be considered an asset.
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in human resources with at least 5 years working in a labour relations advisor role;
- Experience with collective bargaining, pre-negotiation preparation and proposal costing as well as familiarity with labour dispute response;
- An understanding of the Canadian legal framework for Labour Relations;
- Knowledge of employment standards and regulations within the jurisdictions of accountability;
- Previous experience within a heavy industrial or manufacturing environment would be an asset but is not required;
- Training in root cause investigation would be an asset.
- The ability to influence operations recognizing you have no direct authority;
- Excellent relationship building skills;
- Communication skills with the ability to listen well, create influential strategy and communicate in a productive manner that achieves results and “buy in”;
- Highly organized with good time management skills;
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision, and act as a team player with a helpful and positive attitude;
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
The successful candidate will be working directly with the operations team in the plant with frequent interactions with the human resources team.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join AltaSteel in the role of the Manager, Labour Relations, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID # AHRK-825305.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 587-200-0114 ext. 101.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *