SENIOR DISTRIBUTION MANAGER
Uline, a family-owned business starting in 1980, is the leading distributor of shipping, industrial and packaging materials to businesses throughout North America. Uline has been operating in Canada for the last decade, Western Canada since 2011 and opened their Edmonton Distribution Centre in 2014. Across North America, Uline employs over 6000 staff across 11 Branch locations and their Corporate Headquarters and Distribution Centres. Having experienced exponential growth year over year they have positioned themselves to be a top leader in the Canadian market in material distribution. Due to their tremendous growth in Western Canada, Uline is adding to their team at their Edmonton Distribution Centre which is the hub for all Western Canadian distribution.
The Edmonton Distribution Centre currently operates out of approximately 350,000 square feet of warehouse space and has a warehouse headcount of 50 employees with plans for rapid expansion doubling this space and team by 2021. Uline inventories over 34,000 products operating with 1-2 days of shipping lead time and resulting in over a million items shipped annually. Orders by 6 P.M. are shipped the same day! Uline is focused on the customer and its family of associates. Being one of the only distribution organizations that offers a customer catalogue, website and direct sales force, Uline makes it easy for their customers to work with them.
Being a multi-billion-dollar, family owned business that was started in the United States, the Company culture reflects growth, accountability, raising the bar, critical feedback, communication, scalability, and respect. The intent behind this is to continually push its team to be better, to learn and to have personal growth. The organization operates with respect and comradery with a high level of engagement and of course, fun!
At the heart of it, Uline is customer driven and reliable and operating with a high-level of respect at every level and for every person. Moreover, they are looking for the best and the brightest to take their distribution centre to the next level.
For further information on Uline, please visit their website at www.uline.com.
The Senior Distribution Manager (SDM) will report to the Branch Manager, who acts as the Vice President of Operations for Western Canada. The SDM is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of the Edmonton Distribution Centre; in addition to leading and developing the warehouse team, planning and executing for operational efficiencies, leading and managing all external client and corporate visits, and reporting results to Corporate Operations.
The SDM will spend the first 12 months (approx.) travelling to the different warehouses training and networking with other Distribution Managers and key Operations staff before taking over most of their responsibilities.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Distribution Centre, including: freight, returns, receiving, parcels and transfers.
- Oversight and management of day to day workflow through coordination of the distribution activities to meet distribution and customer requirements.
- Involved in all customer and leadership site visits touring and answering all inquiries.
- Hire, train and mentor all warehouse leadership positions.
- Lead through example by adhering to and promoting Uline’s procedures and policies, including developing and maintaining a highly accountable and trusting work environment.
- Ensure compliance to all Company policies and regulations.
- Manage the daily plan to exceed expectations for productivity and accuracy.
- Performance management of staff through goal setting, motivation, monitoring and feedback on KPI’s and any behavioral issues.
- Encourage the professional development of subordinates by establishing goals, motivating, monitoring, and providing guidance on individual employee performance.
- Facilitate implementation of employee engagement initiatives across the team, to drive higher levels of employee engagement for improved operational excellence.
- Lead and develop warehouse team to deliver unparalleled customer service.
- Analyze all customer requirements and maintain optimal level of quality for all distribution activities.
- Monitor labour levels in conjunction with anticipated volumes.
- Collaborate and develop effective relationships with internal departments and leadership to support the development and implementation of new processes, strategies, and plans for continual improvement.
- Ensure a collaborative environment where employees are engaged in continuous improvement and encouraged to share suggestions and feedback;
- Adhere to all Health, Safety and Environmental legislation maintaining a clean and safe warehouse environment.
- Flexibility is required in this role as Senior Distribution Manager is required to observe and be involved periodically with all shifts; day and night, and overtime weekend shifts as required.
- Develop a keen understanding of Uline, cross-functionally and cross-departmentally.
- Be comfortable with critical feedback as a basis for learning and understanding while also being able to provide this to your team recognizing that cross-training and learning is imperative to success.
- Must be able to lead and develop a team to reach the next level of service and productivity.
- The ability to discover and curate future leaders for the team.
- A forward-thinking individual is required that can predict and see solutions for problems 6-12 months into the future. A methodical and pre-emptive personality is a must.
- Be confident and comfortable with both oral and written communication to all members of the Uline community. As well as being comfortable “over-communicating” with your Branch Manager.
- Must show excitement and be self-motivated as this position has a high level of accountability.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- The first year will be spent travelling and learning at the various Uline Distribution Centres to prepare you, through training and development, to be a highly successful Senior Distribution Manager for Uline’s Western Canadian Operations.
- Learn everything about Uline, the company, its processes, its products, its accountabilities and the company culture – become a “Uline Distribution Specialist”.
- In your second year, you will be held accountable and expected to lead a very successful operation being evaluated through key performance metrics, leadership, customer service and employee engagement.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of Uline and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following education, experience and personality profile:
- A high school diploma is required with a University degree being preferred;
- Professional certification in supply chain or logistics would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as a leader within a high-volume, 100k sq. ft. or larger distribution centre is required;
- Proven track record of leading and motivating teams of 50+ staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience in leading organizations through growth.
- Experience in distribution facility expansion; along with the knowledge and skill to manage substantial growth in teams and distribution process while maintaining the customer experience, would be ideal.
- The ideal candidate will come from distribution; however, some consideration will be made for candidates coming from a manufacturing or production environment.
- A strong orientation and knowledge of computers, technology, warehouse management systems and information as it relates to the success of Uline operations.
- A strong track record of success in maintaining safe and clean work environments.
- Available for travel to Uline’s domestic and international branches.
- Confident, self-sufficient with unquestioned personal and professional integrity, with a reputation for ethical leadership.
- Strategic and tactical thinker and performer.
- A leader capable of seeing “the big picture” while simultaneously, being able to keep a sharp eye on the day-today operations of Uline’s shipping and supply goals.
- Must be comfortable communicating with all levels of personnel in a confident and engaging manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Strong team and organizational skills.
- High degree of business acumen.
- Health and safety focused.
- Is an advocate for the business, team, and brand.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate including excellent base salary, bonus incentive, RRSP matching, health benefits and vacation entitlement.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Uline in the role of the Senior Distribution Manager, please email your resume to email@example.com referencing Position ID AVIT-805360. For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit the following:
You Tube Username: ProFound Talent Inc.
Podcasts on iTunes: ProFound Talks with Terri