Job ID 4977
A&H Steel is a fully integrated, full-service rebar provider that specializes in the supply, fabrication, and installation of reinforcing steel in the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. The foundation of A&H Steel was laid in 1970, and neither basic rebar nor A&H’s commitment to their customers’ success and satisfaction has changed.
At A&H they have the expertise and capacity to handle projects of all scope and complexity from simple grade beam and slab construction to the largest industrial plants and state-of-the-art professional sports facilities. Their recent expansion to Maple Ridge B.C. has secured their position as a key player in the reinforcing industry, leveraging their expertise and increasing their capacity to better serve the needs of the western Canadian construction industry.
A&H Steel Vancouver is a partnership between A&H Steel Edmonton, Whitewater Concrete and Syber Concrete. Whitewater Concrete and Syber Concrete are both leaders in the form-work concrete industry, each having 25 years of experience operating residential and commercial projects across the Lower Mainland. Together these companies share a century of industry expertise, successful track records and an ongoing commitment to their people and their customers.
With the recent opening of the Maple Ridge facility, A&H Steel Vancouver is committed to being an outstanding provider of reinforcing steel in the Lower Mainland. The facility is well equipped with top-of-the line machinery, in a bright shop environment right next to the Fraser River. They strive for excellence in their on-time delivery of an exceptional product, safely manufactured by people who are dedicated to their customers’ peace of mind.
A&H Steel team members are filled with pride, dedication, commitment, and loyalty, and live the core values of the organization:
I Say It, I Mean It
I Own It
Bigger Than Myself
I Give a S#*! About Others
I Will Choose Happiness Each Day
For more information on A&H Steel please visit: www.ah-steel.com
The Vice President, Operations (VP) will report to the President & General Manager and will be an active part of the senior leadership team. This position requires a knowledgeable and experienced professional who has a strong background in contract management, operations, and the commercial and industrial construction sectors. The successful applicant will be responsible for day-to-day operations and the financial well-being of multiple projects under their supervision. This position is responsible for the fabrication and production plant, the project management team and field services leading a team of 150+ employees. You will oversee hiring, production, estimating, project pricing, change orders, contract management, liaising with general contractors, finalizing project plans, field services, profit & loss, and budgeting for the Vancouver operation.
The Vice President, Operations serves in a hands-on role managing the day-to-day operations and will work closely with the senior leadership team to attain organizational goals. This senior strategic role is responsible for upholding the profitability and values of A&H Steel and will plan, direct, coordinate, and oversee operational activities, ensuring development and implementation of efficient operations and cost-effective systems to meet current and future needs of the organization.
Vision and Strategy
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures.
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision.
- Authorize and organize the establishment of major departments and associated employee positions.
- Evaluate the shop and placing divisions performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics.
- Investigate and propose new initiatives to ensure the organization stays current with equipment and technology to expand current customer base.
- Participate in expansion activities such as investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances etc.
- Expand shop output by improving efficiencies and shop processes.
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth.
- Oversee daily operations of Shop and Placing divisions.
- Provide leadership to all employees to promote efficiencies and employee development.
- Provide mentorship and training initiatives to all employees to promote advancement within the organization.
- Act as a trusted advisor to all managers and employees on issues relating to shop process, company policies and health and safety initiatives.
- Hire, discipline, or terminates employees a required.
- Complete performance reviews and support performance development.
- Manage contractors and schedules.
- Understand contractual relationship with customer and ensure both parties are meeting the terms of the contract.
- Ensure change order requests are completed in a timely manner by the project team and fulfilled by the client.
- Follow-up on client satisfaction and full delivery of our commitments.
- Be available for contact escalations and provide swift and appropriate direction.
- Lead discussions with client on contract disputes.
- Establish and maintain cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics.
- Responsible for upholding prudent spending on department budgets.
- Approve expenses and holiday requests of direct reports.
- Create and execute annual Sales and Profit budgets for division, as well as periodic forecasts
- Source and approve equipment purchases.
- Write and submit reports to the CEO and Advisory Board in all matters of importance.
- Manage relationships with partners/vendors.
- Ensure clients are always satisfied during the rebar process and mitigate any escalated concerns.
- Hold monthly 1-2-1 meetings with all direct reports.
Health & Safety
- Ensure all staff adhere to A&H Steel’s Health, Safety and Environment practices and procedures.
- Ensure a Health and Safety moment is included at all department meetings.
Value & Purpose
- Focus on developing self and others through practicing living the company values every day.
- Participate in continuous trainings, coaching, and discussions about the values as requested or needed.
- Participate in helping A&H facilitate its purpose.
FIRST YEAR – MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Continue to progress the safety culture within the organization, understanding the risks of the business and ensuring staff are aware of rules and processes.
- Increase strength and facilitate development of the project management team to optimize change order processes, billing of them and to ensure mitigation of errors and risk.
- Ensure KPI’s are being met in the field by creating systems and processes that are efficient and cost effective to meet the goals of the organization and the customer.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the company and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Post-secondary education in business, contracts management and/or a construction discipline is preferred.
- 7+ years progressive experience in a leadership capacity in operations with experience in the construction industry, specifically within commercial and industrial construction, being preferred.
- Consideration will be given to individuals that do not have operations or construction experience if you have strong commercial and contracts management skill and have a demonstrated track record of success in leading large, diverse teams with technical expertise.
- Knowledge of construction drawings and documents would be an asset.
- Previous engagement on a project support team would be ideal.
- Previous experience planning and completing small projects would be an asset.
- Specific experience with rebar reinforcing, either drafting, estimating, or coordinating would be an added benefit.
Competencies and Knowledge
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Possesses a detailed knowledge of development, design and construction terminology, systems, building types, costs, and contracts.
- Communicates complex issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences (e.g., owners, clients, industry peers, etc.) using varied communication systems, methodologies, and strategies to promote dialogue and shared understanding.
- Effective interpersonal, negotiation and troubleshooting/problem solving skills.
- Proficient with MS Office tools.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities grounded in self-awareness and the ability to understand the individual needs of team members.
- Understands and abides by all government processes and regulations.
- Confident with unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Highly accountable
- Displays ethical leadership and loyalty to organization
- Able to respond and pivot quickly to new initiatives and business needs
- Respectful of others
- Positive attitude and energy
- Leads by example and motivates the team
- Strategic and operational performer
- Highly organized with good time management skills
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and without supervision
- A positive attitude when faced with adversarial situations
- Exhibits sound judgment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Vancouver, British Columbia
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join A&H Steel in the role of the Vice President, Operations, please email your resume to DreamBig@profoundtalent.com referencing Position ID #ADRO-042715.
Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Stacey Laing at 587-200-0114 ext. 104.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit:
YouTube: ProFound Talent Inc.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted. *