CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Our client, has been operating within the Edmonton market since 1990. A leader within the construction industry and operating as the General Contractor, our client takes pride in being a design builder that focuses on sustainable construction. Traditionally, the business has operated in the markets of commercial, light industrial and tenant improvements. With aggressive growth plans and a desire to be a leader in lean and green construction, our client looks to its team for creativity and ingenuity in leading the way towards its growth goals.
Our client has built its business based on recognizing that success is achieved when everyone works together as a team. With a reputation for integrity and quality, they have been in steady growth for the past two decades and have been recognized for this contribution by being the recipient of the 2015 and 2016 Contractor of the Year Award. They have built their business based on the values and culture of team work, collaboration, transparency, integrity, excellence, professionalism and delivering results. Maintaining this culture through its growth initiatives is at the forefront of the business.
The opportunity exists as the Founder of this organization is expanding the business initiatives and with this, has identified the need for a Chief Operating Officer. Being a new role in the business and with the opportunity to progress to the President position upon proven track record of success, our client is focused on hiring an individual with strong leadership that can navigate and build the business towards achieving considerable growth. To do this, the Chief Operating Officer will be highly involved in working with the Founder and Executive to develop a comprehensive 5-year strategic plan; along with the annual operational plan to achieve its desired goals. The Chief Operating Officer will review the current organizational structure and processes aligning them to meet the needs of the strategic plan.
In addition, the Chief Operating Officer will have responsibility for driving new business and creating strategic relationships within the construction industry. The successful candidate will be the brand of the business in the market and will work with the Founder in raising the profile of the business. This individual will have some profit and loss responsibility with accountability to the strategic plan, to the business growth, to maintaining the corporate culture, and to creating a brand and profile in the market that is second to none.
- Develop alongside the President, a comprehensive 5-year strategic plan that will be the foundation to achieving the growth goals for the organization;
- Work alongside the Vice President, Finance & Human Resources to align the strategic plan with the financial and human resources strategy of the organization;
- Review the current organizational structure and processes aligning them to achieve the goals of the business;
- Oversee all operations including field operations, safety and project management ensuring all projects are completed with excellence in quality, safety, cost effectiveness, timeliness and in exceeding customer expectations;
- Develop key performance indicators to be used to measure operational effectiveness with the business and projects;
- Oversee and have ultimate responsibility for the profitability of the projects and business;
- Full accountability in mitigating the risk of the organization and its projects with oversight and input on all contractual agreements.
- Work alongside the Vice President, Finance and Human Resources to develop the 5-year financial forecast that aligns with the strategic plan; alongside the development of the operational annual budget;
- Monitor the financial statements including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement monthly to align the business to the plan and to ensure the business is on track for success;
- Using the financial statements, review areas of challenge in the business where opportunity for improvement exists and where financial risk could be mitigated allowing for greater efficiencies in the business;
- Oversight and responsibility for ensuring all projects are profitable and identifying areas within the projects where efficiencies can be made to increase project profitability.
- Be an inspirational leader within the business creating an environment where people want to be accountable to their initiatives, where they are enthusiastic to exceed their own expectations and where they believe they make a difference in the business and in their community;
- Live the values and culture of the organization where the team feels they can have honest communication and collaboration, they have full integrity and transparency and they are encouraged to be creative and problem solvers of the business;
- Develop and mentor the senior leadership team giving them the tools to be successful and to develop their teams;
- Work alongside the VP Finance and Human Resources, to build the team, skill set and culture internally to achieve the goals of the business;
- Be a leader in the market and with existing customers holding the brand and integrity of our client in the highest regard;
- A leader in the market with a focus on building the brand, reputation and new business opportunities for the business.
First Year Accountabilities
- Create a 5-year strategic and operational plan, alongside the President, that will align to achieving the goals of the organization;
- Work alongside the VP, Finance and Human Resources to create an organizational structure that will support the plans of the business;
- Develop KPI’s, processes and accountabilities for the business; while engaging the internal team to be accountable to their role in the business;
- Create a highly-engaged team that takes pride in their role and contribution to the business where they use creativity, problem solving skills and entrepreneurial spirit in exceeding all customer expectations;
- Work alongside the President in creating growth in revenue through the development of new client relationships, new project opportunities and the potential of new market expansion.
- Ensure all projects are operating in a profitable state.
The successful candidate for the Chief Operating Officer position will have the following education, experience and behavioral competencies:
- Post secondary education will be considered an asset with the ideal candidate having a Bachelor of Commerce (or related business education) or Engineering degree;
- A Masters in Business Administration is preferred but not required;
- Extensive experience in the construction industry along with a strong record of accomplishment and progression will be considered as an alterative to formal education.
- The successful candidate must have a background in working within the construction industry with the ideal person having been exposed to general contracting in the areas of commercial, industrial and tenant improvement;
- Must have at least 10 years of experience in construction or a related industry with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership capacity;
- Experienced in managing full profit and loss of a business and in creating growth opportunities;
- A proven track record of success in building teams, creating accountability and in managing change through growth;
The successful candidate will have the following competencies and personal attributes:
- A visionary leader
- An influencer
- Wants challenge
- Takes initiative
- Has financial acumen
- Is optimistic
- Is collaborative
- Ability to enlist others in the vision
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit
A comprehensive compensation package will be provided to the successful candidate including an opportunity for equity upon proven record of accomplishment.
How To Apply
For the opportunity to join this amazing organization in the executive role of Chief Operating Officer, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Position ID # AUHX-658134. Should you have an inquiry regarding this position, please contact Terri Davis at 1-877-217-5551 ext. 101.
For further information on ProFound Talent Inc. please visit our website at www.profoundtalent.com.
Share this Post